Monday, May 11, 2009

My Mother's Day


My Mother's Day began at 5:30 AM with Z standing up in his pack n play saying, "Daddy". I quickly grabbed him before he woke anyone else up in the cottage and pulled him into bed with S and I. I snuggled in with him, rubbed his back and prayed that he would go back to sleep. S and I were exhausted from our crazy travels the night before (we drove 2.5 hours to a friends 50th birthday party and then drove back to the lake after the party), we really needed sleep.

Once I felt Z start to drift off, my small pregnant bladder began to act up. I had already been to the bathroom 3 hours prior but had to go again! I whispered in Z's ear that I would be right back and quietly tiptoed out of the room. Sleeping in the great room was my sister, brother in-law and their dog.....I tried so hard not to wake them but the dog began to stir. I waved to him and kept on my mission.

When I was tucked back in bed, Z snuggled in and I continued to rub his back. I was not happy to be up that early but it was so nice to start my Mother's Day off with my little guy in my arms. I thought about the baby growing inside of me and could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. At that moment I felt like the luckiest woman alive. I do have my own share of daily struggles but being a mother is the most important job I have ever had and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to stay home with my child. He is such a wonderful kid and I can't wait for him to meet the baby and teach him or her all of the wonderful things he knows.

Feeling so blessed, I drifted off to sleep and woke up to Z stirring at 7:30! S quietly got out of bed and Z and I laid in bed and chatted. We talked about his evening with his auntie, uncle and grandparents. He told me all about what he did, ate and the fun he had. I told him all about the birthday party....it was a really nice time. It took S a long time to return (we thought he was in in the bathroom but he was actually fishing!!!) but when he did, he brought my mother's day gifts in. He and Z gave me roses, a balloon and a pregnancy massage (I can't wait).

It ended up being a bit of a crazy day but we did have a nice breakfast out with my parents and my sister and her husband. After that it was back to work at the lake (S, my mom and dad were staining the cottage for most of the day). Z and I were snuggled indoors because the wind was whipping across the lake and it was too cold to be outside. We got my mom the Wii for Mother's Day (and her birthday) so Z and I had fun playing that together.

That night we returned home to our flood (did I tell you we have water under our kitchen and dining room floors???) and S went to work tearing apart our garage ceiling to try to locate the leak before the plumber came in the morning. I ended up getting Z ready for bed and did S's nighttime routine with him (S was covered in insulation and other fun things). It was not really the relaxing evening I had envisioned but it was nice to end my day in the same manner that I started it. Z and I snuggled in, read stories, sang songs and talked about our weekend at the lake. I gave him a squeeze, a kiss and tucked him into bed.

It really was a wonderful day!!!

The picture above is Z the day he was born :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!