Thursday, February 25, 2010

Struggling With Balance

I read recently (I believe it was on one of your wonderful blogs) about someone struggling to be "good" at everything.  This person (gosh I wish I could remember who it was) said that they can only be "good" at one thing at a time.  I have pondered this thought a lot lately while up at night nursing and how much I struggle to be "Super Mom"!

I try to do so many things on a daily basis that it is impossible to do them all well (especially with a four month old).  I try to be a fun and nurturing mother who teaches and encourages her children to explore the world around them.  For my husband, I strive to be a good wife and partner.  I try to cheer him on, listen to his problems and help support him in anyway that I can.  My friends and extended family are very important to me and I try to give them my undivided attention when needed and help them in anyway that I can.  I love to blog and feel it is an important outlet for me.  I try so hard to not only post a few times a week but also comment on my favorite blogs.  I LOVE to learn and educate myself by reading and experiencing new things daily.  My health is important to me and I try so hard to exercise and make good and healthy food for my family.  Finally, although it is not my favorite thing to do, I try to keep my house clean and organized.  A clean and organized space helps me to relax and feel at peace while trying to be all those things to all of those different people :)

Typing all of that made me TIRED :)  It is impossible to be "good" at all of those things at once.  I often find that if I am focused on a healthy lifestyle my blog or friends will suffer or if I focus on being the most effective mother and teacher to my children, the house and my husband suffer.  I just can't be good at everything :)

So I continue my journey of bringing balance into my life.  I feel with a little more organization (and maybe some more sleep...that is up to C), I will be able to take on those many roles and do them a little bit better.  I need a weekly cleaning schedule, a set time to use the computer, time to workout or meditate daily, continue with my weekly meal planning, time to prepare food for the week on the weekends, time to read, time for my husband and I to have "home dates" and finally the rest of my time must go to my children!! :)  I also need to combine activities as much as possible.  Z will be starting his chore chart next month, he loves to exercise with me and is great at helping me cook.  I just need to get creative.  Thank goodness I don't work outside of the home, I couldn't add one more thing to my plate.  I don't know how you women do it, you are truly super heroes!!! 

7 comments:

Lee-Ann said...

The balance thing is so hard and something I struggle with all the time. I try and just go with the flow and enjoy life as it unfolds, easier said then done. Hang in there Mama and enjoy the small things. :o)

Tami G said...

balance?!!!!!
what's that?!!!
ha ha

I have just given in to being the best I can be and stop beating myeslf up for the things I can't do. cause I can't do everything... but I can be the best that i can and THAT is what counts :)

Nicolasa said...

It sure is hard to balance all of those things! I feel the same way. If one or two things are going well, then other things are falling by the wayside! It is so hard to feel ok about that! I don't know how or why we try to do it all but we do and some do it better than others! Kudos to them!

Good luck to you as you search for the kind of balance that works for you!

Mom said...

It is nice to see that moms struggle with the same things their moms struggled with 25-30 years ago. I remember (although it is getting more difficult) feeling the same way, you all are feeling, while you girls were young. It is amazing though, I did set priorities (housework was not one of them) and managed, I hope, to give my girls and my husband all they needed. Time for myself was also important. I found that with friends in group activities - sometimes including the kids and/or husband.
So, your struggles are not new and will someday pass, but in the meantime they are very real and need to be addressed.
So, set your priorities and go from there. If something is still going to be there (like the housework) no matter what you do, don't sweat it. Your kids are with you for really such a short time. Work together to get the laundry, cooking, and cleaning done. Make a game of it. Then go have fun!

Christa @ Little Us said...

I always try to schedule my time better and it works to a certain extent. I'm a big list maker. I love being able to cross things off. When I set time blocks I find that I can almost never follow them! Let me know if you find something that works for you. Maybe I could benefit from it too.

Lee-Ann said...

Check my blog for an award for you!

Anonymous said...

vintage car auto audio [url=http://www.cardvdplanet.com/?action=products&save_s_prm=1&pr_sort_=priority]car audio 1995 infiniti j30 repair[/url] honda accord car audio forum http://www.cardvdplanet.com/3-5-inch-digital-screen-car-dvd-player-and-tft--discount-price38.html beststuff fuel car dvd ipod vacation
auto audio for sale [url=http://www.cardvdplanet.com/3-5-inch-digital-screen-car-dvd-player-and-tft--discount-price38.html]auto audio las vegas[/url] discount auto audio http://www.cardvdplanet.com/car-dvd-player-bluetooth-enabled-2-din-usb--discount-price12.html auto audio refurbishers
auto audio power products [url=http://www.cardvdplanet.com/8-inches-desktop-car-tft-lcd-monitor-with-touch--discount-price91.html]beststuff fuel car dvd ipod vacation houseboat lake[/url] overhead auto dvd player http://www.cardvdplanet.com/car-dvd-player-with-tv-function-cd133--discount-price37.html beststuff fuel car dvd ipod vacation houseboat lake powell

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!