Monday, August 15, 2011

My Happiness Project


As I said last week, one of the best parts of my back going out was the opportunity to READ :)  This book was one of the many I read (I have a problem with reading too many books at once) and the only book I finished.  I LOVED it and it has truly inspired me to start my own Happiness Project.

I had heard about this book a long time ago but after reading reviews on Amazon I wasn't sure I wanted to read it.  I won a copy in a Simple Mom giveaway and I am so blessed that I did, this book has made a huge impact on me.  The reviews that I read had said that Gretchen Rubin was an upper middle class woman who had everything going for her and so it was ridiculous for her to seek out "happiness".  These types of reviews kept me from buying the book but could not have been more wrong.  It doesn't matter who you are or what your situation in life is, everyone could benefit from a "Happiness Project".  Gretchen found through doing hers that it is best to work on your own happiness when things in life are going pretty well.  That way when disaster strikes (and it will strike) you are better prepared to deal with it.  I was able to easily relate to Gretchen and appreciated her honesty and openness with her readers.  I have just started to dive into her blog and I am so excited to start my own "Happiness Project".

My plan is to attempt a year, just like Gretchen did in her book.  I was going to start in September (must be the teacher in me) but after planning out my areas to focus on, I decided that now was the time to start.  Vacation with my family in August can be challenging with all of the different personalities, parenting styles, views of the world etc.  That is why I am choosing this month to focus on ATTITUDE :)  I feel it will help me to better prepare for any squabbles that might arise and help me to act like a bigger person.  I am a sensitive soul, who's feelings are easily hurt.  I hope that the work that I do this month will help me to let things go, not regress into my childhood ways and appreciate all of the good that is around me :)

So here is what I am focusing on this month:

-Good Manners
-Letting Things Go (like water off a duck's back)
-Start a Gratitude Journal
-No Regression
-Finish Reading Raising Happiness'

 Later on I will share with you my 10 commandments, my focus themes for the year and the books I hope to read during this journey.  This book has already changed my outlook about life for the better and has called attention to many of the negative things that I do.  I hope to use this next year to grow and work on my own happiness which will then help the happiness of my children, husband and those around me.



1 comments:

Connie said...

I've been trying to read this book for over a year. I had thought I would read a chapter a month but then I forgot about it.

Can't wait to read more about your project!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!