Monday, April 7, 2008

Just Say NO


Nancy Reagan would be so disappointed in me because this word is almost impossible for me to say. In fact I find myself going out of my way to say yes! People often seek me out to ask favors because they know I will say yes. It is really one of my biggest flaws and I find it doesn't only affect me now, it affects Z too. Here is an example of what I am talking about....this week our playgroup will most likely have to be canceled for the second or third week in a row. So me being me blurted out, "I can have it at my house!" Now mind you under normal circumstances I would love to host playgroup (it is one of my favorite things to do, especially when I serve mimosas) but this week is no ordinary week and I am already so overwhelmed!

This morning I had a big cry because of all the tasks that I have to face this week. Being sick last week really put me behind schedule and I need to do some serious catch up. I still have 50 more recipes to type for my church cookbook (I know that sounds easy but it isn't trust me!), 200 CD covers to make for my dad's conference coming up, the laundry that I never caught up on a month ago to finish (I do see a light at the end of that tunnel), a house to clean, Z's classes to attend, MOMs club business to finish, a wedding toast to write (looking forward to this, just need to find time to do it), workouts to do and oh yeah...a child to care for. So after I heard the words coming out of my mouth that I would host playgroup....I thought of the mounds of clean laundry that needed to be folded, my bills that needed to be paid and all that other stuff and just thought "I can't do all that and clean my house by 10am tomorrow without really ignoring my son". So I called S, he agreed and I told the two girls that I was sorry but I just couldn't pull it off this week.

Lately I have been wondering what my life would be like if I had gone back to work and I really want to salute all of the working moms. I don't know how they balance their jobs, the children and the house! I am so glad that I don't have a job on top of all this because I think I would be insane. So to all of you who work, run the home and care for the kids.....congratulations! I really admire you and don't know how you find enough hours in the day to do it all. I am so thankful that S and I have found a way to allow me to be home with Z. As crazy as the day gets, I still know I am one of the luckiest people in the world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Kara and I am friends with J, from your playgroup- who has A & O. I often log on to your blog and find peace in reading it. Today, as I read your Just say No article, I wanted to thank you for your salute. I do work full time and have two young kids at home. It's not always easy, but I do believe, no situation is easy when kids are involved. We simply do what we have to do to get through the day. So, your praise is appreciated. Z is one lucky little boy. You have his best interests at heart and although I have never met you, you sound like a wonderful mom and a very sincere person. Thanks for all your blogs.

Anonymous said...

How many times have we told you to "Just say NO"? That just isn't you. But then I think of all you (and your sisters) have been doing over the past year or so to help us out with your grandmother - I so appreciate everything you do.

Having been a SAHM with you, L and K for 18 years I can't tell you how much that time meant to me. Yes, there were many days I wondered why I just didn't say no to the PTO, Women's Club, Church and all of my outside activities. But all those other things made me what I was, and your activities make you what you are - a fantastic mom to my grandson. You may need to be more selective about your outside gigs, but that is the way you are - you like to be involved and you want to help!

I also wondered how working moms did it. It is very difficult (if not impossible) for parents to make it work with out two salaries today. If it was necessary am sure I could have done it, but like you we made it work so I didn't have to leave you guys. That would have been the hardest thing for me to do. Both you and your sister have the most important jobs in the world - raising Z and G. Thank you!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!