Friday, January 30, 2009

A Guide for Reading Twilight with a Toddler


Like many people (okay, most of them teenagers).....I have fallen in love with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series (I am 1/2 way through book 3 but have read book one and two 2x each). I have to admit that I was extremely skeptical at first. I usually stay away from books about vampires and didn't really see the purpose in getting caught up in this teenage craze. However after 4 people (who were over 28 and whom I respect) told me that I had to read it (and I was assured by my BF that I would love it) I gave in :) I am so glad that I did!!!

This guide is for those of you are not yet "sucked" up in the world that is Twilight. If you loved Harry Potter or like a good love story (with lots of action) or just want to relive your high school years.....you will love this book :)

What you will Need before you get Started on your Reading Journey

1. All 4 books (borrow or buy them, it is nice to have all 4 in your possession at once....that
way you won't have to wait long to jump into the next book)

2. Access to the Internet so you can read Midnight Sun online (this must be read after you read
Twilight and understand it is not yet complete)

3. A Facebook account so that you can reconnect with old High School classmates as you relive your high school years with Bella and Edward (yes I am on Team Edward).

4. Four weeks of time (not too many appointments, obligations, nights out etc.). You will need about a week per book if you have a family to take care of (2 weeks per book if you have a family and work full-time)

5. An understanding husband who won't mind picking up the slack around the house and won't
mind your absence for a month or so....if he likes college B-ball, maybe March Madness would be a good time to start :)

6. Lot's of Coffee and other caffeinated drinks! You will be very sleepy from staying up so late reading.

Tips for Finding Time to Read

1. Naptime is always prime reading time for me. On days where I want an extra long time to read, I bathe Z before nap and then have 3 hours (one day I had 4) to myself to read.

2. The Curious George Power Hour (or other TV programs). When Z sits down to watch George in the evening, I hurry to make dinner and then snuggle up on the couch with him. I angle myself so that I am reading but still cuddling with him. He hasn't caught on yet and feels like I am enjoying George with him ;)

3. Extra long trips to the bathroom (even if you don't have to go). S and Z eventually come looking for me but I then let them know that I am going "potty" :)

4. Books on Tape...I didn't go this route with this series but I did with Harry Potter. Z doesn't mind listening to tapes in the car and this is a great way to get in that extra reading time.

5. Burning the Midnight Oil---I spent many late nights caught up in Forks, WA :) That is why coffee is so essential :)

I am having a lot of fun with this series and I will be sad to see it end. I have actually been dragging things out by going back and rereading books one and two before starting three. If you are on the fence about starting the books....I highly recommend you try them. The vampire world that Meyers has created is fascinating! Happy Reading :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!