Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trying Not To Cry Over Spoiled Milk

The RaisingZ household was one of the 400,000 homes without power this past weekend.  It all started on Thursday night with the one of the craziest windstorms I have ever experienced.  S and I were amazed at the fury mother nature was throwing our way with winds gusting over 70 mph....it was a bit scary. 

We lost power around 10pm and managed to keep everybody reasonably warm over night.  The next morning I called around to my family to see if anyone still had power.  Everyone was in the dark and so I drove the kids to my mother's house so we could huddle around her gas fireplace.  Remembering the craziness of last years ice storm, I begged S to find us a hotel room near where he worked (he works in a different state and they had power).  He tried to convince me that we should wait as long as possible before getting a hotel and suggested hanging out at the mall.  This suggestion would have been fine if we didn't have a 4 month old but I wanted a place to relax, feed her and not be searching for a hotel room at 8pm.  I begged S to get a room and so he was able to secure a suite in the hotel that his company uses at a very discounted rate :)

I drove the kids to the hotel and met S there.  Just knowing that we had a warm place to lay our heads helped to melt away the stress of the day.  Z was so excited that the hotel had a pool and spent 20 minutes exploring the room.  "I love our new house mommy!"  he said over and over.  Note to self...no need to spend a lot of money on a vacation, just take Z to a local hotel with a cool toilet and a pool!  We got take out, watched the Olympics and had a nice relaxing evening.  It was just what we needed. 

As it turns out my mother did get her power back on that evening but S and I agreed that this little night away was like a mini vacation....the perfect thing for our family.  After a swim in the pool and a delicious breakfast (it was included in our rate), we headed home to see if we had power.  It was back on!!!  We were one of the lucky ones, many people in our area were out for days. 

I spent a good portion of Saturday throwing things out from our fridge and freezer and scrubbing our fridge.  I tried not to cry as I got rid of the 18 oz of liquid gold that I had collected over the last few months.  It was so sad to see all of that hard work go down the drain.....I guess our attempts at bottle feeding are officially over :( 

I am so grateful that we live so close to our town center and thus power is always restored within two days.  I am also so lucky to have such an amazing husband who is always so calm in stressful situations and does all he can to make sure we are safe and happy.  Losing the power turned out to be a wonderful family adventure!

10 comments:

Beth P. said...

I'm glad it didn't take long for your power to come back! Last year during the ice storm we were without power for 9 days, so I can certainly understand your concern - my little guy was only 3 months then!

I'm sorry about the liquid gold, that is tough, but I'm very glad to hear you had such a great little mini-vaca!

Joy said...

so sorry you lost all that milk. It's tough to see all that time and effort go to waste. But how cool that you all got a night away!

Lee-Ann said...

Oh no, I would have cried too. :( I'm glad that the power wasn't off too long and that you did get a mini vacation out of it!

BeckyinRNO said...

So glad the power came back on so quickly! And that you got a little mini-vacation. So sorry about the breast milk I know how hard you have been working on get a supply stored up, hopefully you can get a little ahead again.

We get a lot of crazy wind here in Reno during the spring and have had 110 mile gust at our house. CRAZY!! Of course being a meteorologist I love it!

Christa @ Little Us said...

I'm glad it didn't take long for your power to come back on. But it's awesome that you guys were able to have a mini vacation my Aunt had to do the same thing when they lost power last week because of the snow! Unexpected but sorta fun!

Connie said...

That sounds like a fun adventure!

Unknown said...

cool that you were able to find a positive...several even!

Nicolasa said...

You're unexpected mini-vaca sounds great! My friend had to throw out 7 bags of food from her freezer and fridge. She has 2 little ones under 3 and was so upset at all she had to get rid of. They had no power for 5 days. :(

Mesina said...

Oh I was in an Ice Storm many years ago when I lived in the states - NOT COOL! So glad you guys got power back asap and a night in a hotel even! Awesome!

http://artisticallynuts.com/ask-me-first-ever - you were featured on my first Ask Me post! xx

Babe in Babeland said...

That's crazy!! I'm so glad you had a warm place to be, the whole fam. And I'm glad your power is back on!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!