Friday, February 17, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship with Sourdough

About a year ago I got interested in the idea of sourdough.  I liked that it was a traditional process that helped aid in digestion.  I felt like I could channel Ma Ingals and make yummy baked goods that were healthy for my family.  I watched a ton of videos on sourdough and even bought my first starter....but I got cold feet and ended up throwing away the dehydrated starter a few months later.
Doughy and Joey
Fast forward to two months ago and I took a deep breath, built up some confidence and decided to actually take the leap into the world of Sourdough.  I watched more videos, joined the GNOWFGLINS ecourse, took tons of notes and started my own starter in January.  It FAILED :(  Determined not to give up, I ordered another starter and started it up days after I got it.
crackers
The beginning days of sourdough are TOUGH.  You start with that initial excitement and then the exhaustion sets in.  Feeding your baby (or in my case babies) every 12 hours, trying to figure out what to do with the discarded starter (I hate throwing it out) and then baking the items that you create with your discarded starter is very time consuming.  I have made pancakes, English muffins, spice cake, wheat thin crackers, Italian crackers and have muffins souring right now.  There are plans for scones, another cake and a no knead bread this weekend:)
spice cake
The crackers are great, the cake was delicious, the English muffins need practice and the pancakes were not my favorite....too savory but they tasted great with Quark (a spreadable cheese).  I have loved this adventure, loved trying to create new foods but I am looking forward to putting "Doughy" in the fridge and passing "Joey" off this weekend.   I am looking forward to having a once a week relationship with my sourdough instead of a twice daily one.  It will be nice to get it out of the fridge, "bake big" (as Wardeh at GNOWFGLINS says) and put it back in the fridge to forget about for another week or two.  I can't wait!!
English Muffins

2 comments:

Mom said...

Joey will be missed, but he is going to a nice home.
I am proud of you for taking on this very demanding challenge. Better you than me...

Connie said...

Oh wow. That sounds like more of a commitment than I'm willing to make.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!