Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Balls to Trucks to Dinosaurs????


I am truly baffled by my little Z :) He seems to be interested in all things marketed for boys and I do not believe that this is my doing or because of television (he doesn't see TV commercials). It is so funny to see him transform from interest to interest. Z was obsessed with balls for months. We played with them, read about them, watched movies about them and he even slept with them. His new love is trucks! He still loves his balls but if you put a real live truck (or truck book) out and a ball.....7 times out of 10 he will go towards the truck.

Z was given a truck book for his 1st birthday and he had no interest in it whatsoever. It sat on his shelf and whenever I took it out to read it to him he would slap it away and say "no". So one day, about a month ago, he went over and picked up the book and he hasn't put it down since! He is obsessed with trucks. We now play with them, read about them, watch movies about them and look for them on the road (he hasn't requested to sleep with one yet). I just don't get it.

It seems like all boys go through this rite of passage and companies know it and so they market to it. All boys things are trucks, sports and dinosaurs....which makes me think that dinosaurs will be next on Z's list. Who knows???

I am sure there is research out there that explains this strange phenomenon and it is my plan to look into it. For now I will just be baffled by Z's stereotypical boyish interests. I do have to say that we were at a friend's house one day and he did pick up her dolly and give it a big hug! This made me so happy....it shows his little sensitive side :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!