Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Red Sox Did It!!!


Well they beat the Angels last night and are off to play the Rays in the ALCS. Red Sox Nation is psyched to be that much closer to returning to the World Series :) Tampa will be tough competition (I never in a million years expected to write those words) but hopefully our boys will pull it off.

In 2004, I attended game 3 of the ALCS against the Yankees (very expensive bleacher tickets). It was the most brutal game of the series and they lost 19-8. I stayed until the end (probably only 1 of 1,000 people to stay until the brutal end) and will never forget that night. It was so cold and we were shocked to find out that they did not sell one blanket in the stadium (After telling my class about this game, one of my students came in the next week with a Red Sox blanket that he had bought for me! How sweet is that?). We went home that night utterly depressed...the phrase, "Wait Til Next Year" going through our minds. The next night the Sox shocked us all and went on to win after 12 innings. This then started a winning streak and they went on to win 4 straight games against the Yanks. They were the first team in Major League Baseball history to win an ALCS after being down 3 games!

After this incredible series they went on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals (sorry A Buns Life) in the World Series. That was the most incredible October I have ever lived! The energy around New England was incredible (despite all of the lack of sleep). It had been 86 long years but that team (those dirt dogs) pulled it off!

In 2007, S and I were lucky enough to get bleacher tickets at face value ($75 each) to see Game 7 of the ALCS. We wondered throughout that whole series if we would even get the chance to go. I remember secretly cheering for Cleveland for a few games (I know I am selfish) just so I could get to game 7 and see them clinch. Well we did get to game 7 and that night was unbelievable. We sat next to two teachers from NJ who drove all the way to cheer on the Sox (and then they were going to drive back and work the next day!!). Well they won and Fenway Park was on fire! It was so much fun to be part of that special night. The Sox then went on to sweep the Rockies and win their second World Series in 4 years :)

Well guess who got tickets again?!? Thanks to my dad, S and I are going to see the Sox in game 4 of the ALCS :) I am so excited, I am shaking right now ;) I don't know what the outcome will be or what is in store for us. I am just so happy that I will be sitting once again in the bleachers with my Red Sox blanket....cheering on my boys in the ALCS! Go Sox!!!

2 comments:

Leanne said...

I went to the Blue Jays world series games years and years ago. It's so much fun to be at the games. Enjoy! I'll be thinking of you as we uh, watch hockey up here! :)

Unknown said...

I hate you! :P I haven't been to a game in 2 years!!! :( :( The last game I went to we thought my dad had a rare blood cancer. It was my night with my dad. It was a great game, in press box seats, but it had a sadness to it.

My dad is now ok. They have to check him periodically but he is not dying (Thank GOD).

I don't want my last memory of Fenway to be that one. I am so incredibly jealous that you have tickets!!!

But it seems you are their good luck charm! GO SOX! :) Have a hotdog and a beer for me!!! :) :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!